Yep, we’re still searching for a new location in Bayview, and the Riverwest compost bins have reached their limit. With input from the gardeners and land stewards of the Milwaukee Friends Meeting location, the Kompost Kids volunteers made the decision to temporarily close the compost bins starting Saturday, June 20th. This allows us to rebuild bins to suit everyone’s needs and move any “in process” compost in a safe and earth friendly manner.
We’re still following #SaferAtHome restrictions, ALL IN-PERSON volunteer activities are suspended until further notice. But, we’d love to hear from you how much you use the Riverwest compost bins and if you’d like to get involved once it is safe to do so. Follow our updates here on the website, on Facebook, and Instagram to stay in touch.
BUT WAIT – AMAZING NEWS!!!
Friends are the BEST!!! Thank you Fondy Farmers Market <3. Our friends at Fondy are opening up their compost bins for self-drop when the market is open. Go support local food purchases, and drop off your food scraps at the same time! Farmers Markets are considered essential business, Fondy is open, and also is practicing safe shopping guidelines!
Compost bins are unlocked during market hours. Find the market manager if you have trouble locating them! Follow our IG story as we show how easy it is to shop and drop.
Fondy Farmers Market Location: 2200 W Fond du Lac Ave 53206
- Early Season (May 9 – June 20)
- Saturdays 9 am – 12 pm
- Regular Season (June 27 – November 1)
- Saturdays 7 am – 2 pm
- Sundays/Tuesdays/Thursdays 9am – 2pm
Fondy contracts their compost service with another local favorite, Compost Crusader. This is incredibly generous of Fondy, so please:
- Respect What Can/Can Not Be Composted
- NO BPI compostable products of ANY kind – so no compostable plastic bags, straws, to go containers, cups, utensils etc.
- Collect food scraps in a PAPER grocery bag, roll the bag closed, and add it to the compost bins during open hours.
- Remember, share the bins. No large, bulky items.
Here are OTHER ways to continue to compost:
- Ask your neighbors with compost bins if they have room for food scraps.
- Build a Bin – construction suggestions for the 3-bin system are here.
- Register your home compost, or find one that is open to food scraps at Share Waste.
- (you can unlink your own site to new contributors at any time)
- This includes your rolling collection bin!
- Biocycle: http://www.findacomposter.com/
- 06/2020 – currently under construction, but check back regularly
Pay for Service:
Lager Residential Pickup with a Rolling Bin:
Small Bucket Exchange Pickup Programs:
*NOTE – any links to commercial entities are not affiliated sources, just the best suggestions we have right now. Please contact them directly. If you have other suggestions for links to add, please email: contact_at_kompostkids.com and we’ll try to get them added when we can. We have our hands busy right now trying to find a new location.